Sunday, June 04, 2023

Ginger Foster

Last weekend was Memorial Day. On Monday we went to a picnic with a bunch of friends. Very shortly after we arrived, the sister of one of my son's friends calls us over, and bundled up in a blanket, she has this little ginger kitten!!!

There was a cargo storage container there, and apparently there was a litter of them under there, crying out. This was the only one they were able to get out, as it's eyes were gooped shut. She was able to get one cleaned and open. She also said that the others were spooky feral, but this one was glad to be rescued!!! When we first met him (she says he's a tomcat, but from previous experience, it can be tricky with kittens!!!) she had named him Frankincense, or Frank for short, which is also her brother's name. It was a rather cool day out, and the little guy was shivering. Later on, she'd changed his name to Colby. Colby Jack. I rather like that much better!!! Around the time everybody was getting ready to leave, she asks us if we could take him “for a few days, while I work on my mom”. I don't mind, even though, who knows, it could turn into a permanent situation.

He's a spooky little guy, but that's to be expected. We took him home wrapped in the blanket, and kept him like that for a while. We unwrapped him, and he pretty quick found the secluded area below the drawers on my desk. He did come out after a while for some food that we had laid out for him. The next day, he was still under there while I was working, and since he was somewhat trapped by me being there working, I eventually pulled the drawer out and extracted him, and put him in the kitchen. He's mostly taken up residence in the corner behind the refrigerator, but he's been getting out a little bit more as he's gotten used to it. I made up a box bed for him, and he got in it once. I left the blanket in the corner, thinking he may like it since he had some history with it. He logged on it, but has since figured out what a litter box is for. A couple of times (once, in the midst of writing this up), I've been able to get some pets in, and he does head snuggles, purrs, kneads a little, and rolls over on his back, I'm not sure if he's looking for belly rubs, or if he wants to play. Oh, and he's VERY vocal, especially when someone comes into the room. My wife and son have taken to calling him Gloopy, as his eyes still have some discharge, even though they are better. Now there's a unique name for a cat!!!

No comments: