Sunday, April 12, 2020

In the Harsh, Cold Light of Day

I kept telling myself it might not be that bad. Sure, the front bumper cap would need replaced, and I was sure that some of the mounting points on the fenders would have snapped, and the hood has a little fold on it that would need seen to, but since the impact was all on the bumper, maybe it just pulled everything attached to it out of joint??? I was looking at junkyard inventory and replacement bumper caps, as well as aftermarket styled bumpers, which are mostly hideous.

Finally got a chance to check it out yesterday. I had to use a crowbar to get the finger latch undone. Nope, I'm confident it's a total loss. In the first picture, I circled the bumper mount, that looks like it's bent about 15°, and has a big crease.

The aluminum bumper beam is all twisted, too, and the side metal that mounts the fenders is pushed over. The plastic mount for the driver's side headlight is broken, as well as the front end of the fender. In the last picture, you can see my new motor mount, which should be parallel with the frame, is at an angle.

Sometime in the future, I'll be yanking the engine and probably the transmission out. This is the only Saturn that hasn't developed oil usage issues. Probably will drop it directly into Scruffy.

While I don't completely NEED another car, it's always nice to have a back up. Currently, I'm not seeing anything that's a direct replacement, but there's a super impractical Sky Redline that I really like the look of for a better price than I've ever seen before. It's a sexy beast!!! And there's another way I've been considering going for a few years that I might just pull the trigger on!!!

No comments: