Thursday, September 12, 2019

Double Mount Duty

Last weekend was a wrenching on the cars weekend. I've posted shot motor mount pictures before, so I had to keep the tradition going!!! This instance differs from previous times in that I did two different cars in one round!!!

First up were the mounts from 3. She's developed a low roar noise at cruising speed. My first thought was wheel bearings, but not long after Jade started making quite a bit of noise when put into gear, and I recalled that Saturn motor mounts are prone to failure. There seemed to be a lot of motion, so they needed doing anyway, and if that fixed the roar, so much the better. The top mount has what has been coined the "sad face" design. The bottom mounts were still in serviceable shape, but by the time I discovered that, it's not much more to replace them.

On to Jade, the top mount was in much worse shape, barely hanging on together, only slightly better than the ones I'd replaced on Baby way back. The lower ones were better, but still up for replacement. Made a nice improvement on her!!!

On back to 3, around a month back I'd done an oil change, and while I was at it I rotated the tires. While I was removing one of the rear wheels, one of the already loose lug nuts stopped spinning freely. I put my breaker bar on it to spin it the rest of the way, and snapped off the stud!!! Since I was already suspecting a bad bearing (another thing I'd done while I was rotating the tires, gave 'em a spin to see if any of them seemed to have a bad bearing) I replaced the whole hub assembly instead of trying to get a new stud pressed in. Anyway, the motor mounts and one rear wheel bearing haven't fixed the roar noise, and I have a feeling it's the front right that's the cause. Thought it might be tire noise I was hearing, and that had prompted me to think about getting another set of Ion rims for 3, if I'm buying new tires, might as well get something a bit bigger and badder. When I went to the junkyard over the long weekend (one of the ones in Wilmington is closing down, and instead of 40% they were up to 70% off!!!) there wasn't a single one of the three that had the alloys still on them. Started looking around, and realized none of the cars have any wheels on them!!!

Oh, and while I had the air filter box out to do a lower mount, I saw that the transmission temperature sensor plug was missing half of the holding tab. checked it out, and the other one broke off, too!!! I've got it held in place with shrink tube and tape right now, but will replace it soon enough.

Scruffy has had occasional check engine lights for a while, one of the codes being temperature related, and sometimes the gauge would go out. Got a new engine coolant temperature sensor with all the other stuff, and went ahead and replaced that, too. Turned out to have a length of bare area!!!

And, for a final touch, I modified the air intake tube as I've done to other Saturns. Cut out a good portion of the top of the tube to facilitate better airflow!!!

1 comment:

Aye said...

The day after this post, I replaced that front left wheel bearing, and everything has been good with 3 since (although I still need to replace the transmission temperature sensor plug)