Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Rollin'

Over the weekend I finally got tires for the rims I got a few weeks back.

I couldn't wait to take some pictures of them, and so I got a few not great shots at night. I'm very pleased with how they look and fit!!!

If you happen to remember way back when all this started, I had some different rims, and you may wonder what became of them. I had them on the back porch area of my house, which is well hidden and not an area where anyone goes. I was waiting until I rebuilt the suspension and got it aligned to put them on. Just a few weeks before I got that wrapped up, some LA DWP workers were towards that area, working on the sewer lines, and when I went to retrieve them, they were gone. While I have no proof, I have a very strong suspicion as to what happened there.

Anyway, I once again started looking for a set of rims. I don't know when it happened, I didn't used to care for them, but at some point the factory Ion rims I ended up getting began growing on me. They are only 16" as opposed to the 17's I'd had, so likely the tires cost a bit less. Keeps it a factory rim, too, albeit one that wasn't offered on this model. Actually, when I was shopping for the transmission, I was already on the prowl for them.

I decided on going with 205-50-16's, which come to find out isn't so common a size. They had 55 series all day long, but I had to special order 50's. Actually came out $10 cheaper going with this size. Look at that, they've got the size right on the tread!!! I've never seen that before. So how do they handle and ride??? The handling, I haven't broke 'em loose yet, even though I have only had a couple chances to really lay into them. This morning I took a 270 degree right turning clover leaf ramp, finally with no one ahead of me. Whenever I get a chance to do this corner like this, I mute the radio and roll the windows down to hear what the tires are doing. Didn't hear a thing. Ever since I put the new springs in, I've slightly regretted it. They are just a tad too harsh for my liking, but for whatever reason, these tires seem to ease the ride somewhat.

This morning at work, I parked next to one of my co-workers who happens to have an Ion with the same rims, with a different style center cap. Who do you think wears it better???

No comments: