Monday, August 13, 2018

The Other Tower

For several years we've been going to a family camp with my parents. Some years my niece and nephew and sister have been along, some years I haven't been able to make it. This year was one that I made it.

Quite close to where we go, there' a fire service lookout tower. Most every year, we swing by for a visit. Several of the high angle pictures are from there in previous posts. Like many slightly developed mountain peaks, it has a lot of antenna and dishes.

I think I'd heard of this one before, around 15 miles from the one we normally go to. Keller Peak, it's called, and we all agreed, it's a much nicer location!!!

It's a lot farther out from "civilization", and most of the drive is on a narrow little strip of paving. Also, the antenna and dishes are not right up on the tower, so the view around is better.

Off a little way from where we parked was this large slab of rock, and underneath it was a naturally occurring tunnel.

Pretty much everywhere you look, there's a view!!!

The tower volunteer told us of a B-26 that had crashed in a snow storm back in WWII. On the road back there was a plaque commemerating the crew, and at the tower they had several bits of debris, photos and newspaper articles.

And the last shot: Is it bigfoot??? No, it's my firstborn!!!

No comments: