Sunday, June 09, 2013

The Broken Screen

When the main event of this post occurred, my youngest exclaimed, "I know you're going to use this on your blog!!!" With that kind of set up, guess I have to!!!

Pictured above is something I rigged up a while back. On my last recliner, the cat always loved to lay about on the foot rest portion. (As i searched for the post on the recliner, I realize I've not made mention of it's demise. It was an excellent chair, but unfortunately somehow the mechanism for the footrest broke, so it was permanently extended, making the sitting down and rising up difficult... but providing a ready resting spot for the feline!!!) Around my birthday of last year it was replaced by a smaller recliner, which fits the room nicely, but the footrest hits me mid-thigh, and it's vinyl skinned. But, it's in good shape and the recliner portion works well.

So, as the old one was on it's way out, I detached the footrest portion. Knowing that kitty was already accustomed to it, and knowing that one of his favorite places in the house is looking out of the window over the washer and dryer in the laundry room, I devised something I knew he'd like. I already had a couple of shelf brackets, but to span the distance I had to add a piece of wood under the footrest. All I had around was a 2x2, which I screwed to the bottom. Naturally, I had to mount the whole rig far enough out to clear the old school louver windows. He took to it right off!!! The first hiccup happened a couple days later. The shelf brackets are of stamped steel, and the 2x2 is on the very end. In other words, not near strong enough to support the mighty girth of wonder cat. It twisted around and probably dumped him off, or at least made him do the awkward struggle to maintain composure as it rotated around. I added in a couple aluminum brackets running up higher on the window frame, and it was back in service. As the weather warmed up, I finally got the chance to open up the window, affording him not only the view, but also the multitude of smells his kind so enjoys!!!

A couple weeks back, my wife, being the first one up, explains, "The screen is out!!!" There's another phrase that has taken on a whole new connotation!!! First thing I was wondering was if it was a computer screen, a TV screen or a phone screen!!! Of course, when I found out, I wasn't as concerned as I'd started. A little miffed that I was going to have to replace a screen, but that was about it. I mean, there wasn't any way our giant cat could get out between those little four inch slats... was there??? I did my morning routine, but I did notice that he wasn't around... so I told my wife to try and locate him. He eventually answered back... from directly below the window!!! Now his tuxedo markings are that of the Great Houdini!!! Oh, and the window is now closed.

Next up is some of the most intricate whiteboard art yet, the older's rendition of the Mobius Double Reacharound (Virus??? will putting virus references on my blog make it a restricted site???), another reference to Homestuck!!!

Found the original image. I know I had issue with it before, but now it looks like blogger posts GIFs without issue!!!

And finally, a little cup art. The only part I did was the 512. Below it is one of the new line stickers from work, which one of the girls did my nickname on. Now if you wondered, you have a clue to my real identity!!! Last week I'd worn my Karkat shirt, and ended up having to explain it several times. Did an image search for Karkat for one of the girls, and she says, "Awww, he's CUTE!!!" Haha!!! I was working with her again the next day, and she added in his shirt logo. I noticed shortly thereafter that it was actually a mirrored image. I theorized that it was because she's left-handed!!!

No comments: