Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Flushing More $$$

A few weeks ago, we had another clog in the plumbing. As I have previously stated, old construction sometimes has these issues.

The main area it tends to clog seems to be the upstairs toilet, where it goes from horizontal to the vertical drain pipe. When we had first moved in, I had un clogged it by going up on the roof, and using a long pipe down the roof vent. Later, I made up a weight with spikes around the outside with an eyebolt on it, that I would attach to a rope and drop down the vent.

I broke out the weight and used it, for the first time in a long time, and cleared it out. Over the weekend before last, it happened again. I returned to the roof, and tried again. I could tell the clog was moving down, but it didn't seem to break through like it has on previous occasions. Sure enough, the water had gone down in the toilet, so I tried flushing it, and it started backing up into the tub!!!

I called the number of a drain cleaning company I'd gotten a card from when they were out clearing my neighbors' drain, but they said they would have to come the next day. I called the same company who had done the outside line back in 2013, and they were out in an hour. They ran their camera into the pipe, and declared it was not only clogged, but had a break in the line down under the basement. Well, you know, a man will pay a good amount to have his fancy indoor plumbing!!!

In the first and fourth picture, you can see a 2" PVC pipe with a rubber adapter to the 4" steel pipe. That was one of the first plumbing jobs I'd done not long after we had moved in. That's the drain from the washing machine, which was broken by the first guy who'd came out last time. When we moved in, it was dropped into the 4" pipe, with a bunch of rags stuffed around it, and it was one of the first things that would back up. I added the rubber adapter. I always kind of wondered what happend under the concrete, it's right next to the pipe from upstairs. Once it was dug up, I got to see what happens. This is in the water heater room, and the other shot is in the walk in closet or pantry on the other side of the wall, just behind the downstairs bathroom.

Anyway, they shunted the washer drain right into the main pipe, with a clean out added in, replaced most of the pipe, and did a trenchless coating on the remaining stretch between the inside and the outside. These guys aren't cheap, but they are about the only home service repair people that I haven't had any complaints about, so I'm OK with it!!!

And, once the concrete was replaced, I was able to put the mark and date on it!!!

No comments: