Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Rhinoplasty Part Two

It's been raining since Sunday, on and off. It was coming down in buckets on Sunday night, but not at all yesterday afternoon. Coming home tonight it was, and just before a ramp I was taking, I saw a great puddle of water, extending a lane and a half out from the right. Uh oh... As I hit it, the car started pulling to the center of the freeway pretty hard, and I probably was trying to correct the other direction. With the little traction I had, I began a spin heading towards the outside wall. I saw it coming and knew there was nothing I could do but brace myself. It was a hard hit, I was probably still doing 50 or so, and kept spinning for a second revolution, coming to rest with the back end towards the wall, and the nose out in the traffic lane. I turned on my hazard lights and assessed the situation. Of course, it shook up everything in the car, my water bottle, glasses, phone, and the lid to my coffee cup all ended up in the footwell on the drivers' side. I picked all these up, put the gearshift into park, and tried to fire it up. Started up on the second crank, and I straightened it up onto the shoulder, and assessed the the exterior. I'd thought for sure it caught both ends, but apparently it was all on the front. It looked ugly, but nothing that would prevent me from driving it. Headed home, and there was a scraping noise as I was driving. A couple blocks away, I heard something come loose, so I pulled over and discovered the plastic shield below the radiator had been knocked loose.

When I got home, I took out the memory card from the dash cam. There were a half dozen of the clips marked with the emergency save, but none of them were from tonight. Scrolled though the rest, and where it should have been, I got a clip with the unplayable message. Good thing I didn't need it as evidence for an incident with another vehicle!!! I checked the rear camera, and it didn't get scrambled like the front facing one had, and here's the clip!!! Can't tell much of what's going on, but you can see the splash of water, and the spin and where it ended up.

As you can see, it made a mess of the front bumper!!! Lost the emblem, tweaked the headlights out of place, as well as tweaking the fenders and hood out of place.

In addition, that alignment I just got is now completely shot!!! The steering wheel in about 30° out of square. We'll see how it looks in the light of day, and when things have dried out some. Also, it wasn't a sufficient hit to set off the airbags!!!

At least when my wife did Scruffy's nose, it was just the hood!!!

No comments: