Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Universal Appeal


Over the weekend, in observance of the younger boy's birthday, we went to Universal Studios. It was the first time for both of the boys, and probably the first time I've been there in about 15 years.

As theme parks go, its interesting and fun, but not so many rides. More about the shows and attractions. My original thoughts had been to take to Gold Line out to Universal again, but the price for a day pass has gone from $3 to $5, and, of course, it ends up taking more than an hour to make the trip. At $12 for the family, it would be almost cheaper than the parking, but at $20 it was hardly worth it. Of course, this was before we got out of there and the 101 freeway was completely stopped.

There's the 74 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile from The Blues Brothers.

One of the cool things that was new to me was the Terminator show. A cool mix of live action and 3-D film. Also new is a Shrek 4-D film with articulating seats and moisture effects.

Jaws. I had my little video camera with me, and the older boy and I attempted to do the lines from Jaws (Monkey cage? Shark cage), but I blew my lines.

They took out the Back to the Future ride that they used to have, but I'd never seen this "Doc Brown's Chicken" before. Didn't have any, but good theming. Also, when we went on the back lot tram tour, they do have the entry statues for Lyon Estates from that series of movies.

Ah yes, the back lot tram tour. One of the better things this park has going for it. Many street facades, many sound stages (which look like nothing but warehouses from the outside) and some interesting movie memorabilia and sets. New to me on the tram ride is video screens on the tram. Strange thing, several of the trees were wrapped up in white paper. The tour guide said they had been filming a car commercial there the other day, and that's why that was. As if that explained anything.

I didn't know it was filmed there, but Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives is at Universal. They said that they were filming while we were there, and asked us all to be silent while we rolled by. I didn't see anything other than the security guard. Lets see, what else happens on the tram??? Well, you go through one sound stage where King Kong attacks the tram, another one where you are involved in a Frisco earthquake. Nice for people visiting California. There is also the parting of the lake, which now has a little model of the ship approaching Skull Island from King Kong, and the Jaws Attack, and a flash flood.

Here's something surreal: The houses from the Grinch who Stole Christmas movie are located right behind the Bates Motel and the Psycho house.

Last picture is from the Water World stunt show. I'm not sure, but I think the show might actually be better than the movie was. Did I mention that the weather was somewhat inclement??? Not real bad, but it was overcast and cool all day, whereas every day leading up to this day and every day since has been beautiful, clear and warm. I only make mention because most every seat for this show is in a splash zone, and several are in soak zones. Worked out nicely, though, because there weren't too many people there, short lines.

Another ride we went on was the Jurassic Park ride. The younger boy had no interest in riding it, but each of us parents went with the older boy once each. Pretty good ride, with the potential to get wet.

The best ride there, in my opinion, was the Mummy coaster. Not a great coaster, but it has great themeing, as well as an awesome power launch. It goes through the whole track (mostly in the dark), then reverses and does the whole thing backwards!!! Rather unique!!! I rode it twice and the boy rode it three times.

Oh, and the deal that sealed it for me: The park lets you come back for the rest of 2008 (black out dates excluded), so there will be more of this!!! In Spring they are opening a Simpsons ride. More to follow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aye! So happy to catch up on your life! Great pics...lovin the Jaws one and your son on the motorcycle, I would blow that one up poster size and hang it in his room. I missed you too.Say hi to Nam.
:)
love ya
panky

riborfmw: rainbows in bright orbits rarely flow my way