Monday, June 06, 2005

Taking a minus and turning it into a plus

What a way to start the week!!! I was driving in this morning, stopped at a light in a long row of cars at a light, when all of a sudden I hear brakes screeching.... BAM!!! I ended up the 3rd car in a 4-car sandwich!!! Fortunately, unlike in the case of the Camaro, everyone involved had insurance. The car behind me got the worst (but the front of the SUV that did the hitting didn't look that good, either!!!) but I didn't fare much better. I think the insurance company is likely going to total my poor car, and try to screw me on the value. It bent the back bumper and taillight panel, wrinkled the passenger side quarter panel, shoved my front bumper under the car in front of me, and the bumper guards got the front edge of my hood, kinking it up just a little in the middle. It still drives OK, but I had an intermittent gas leak afterwards. I jacked it up to see if I could see where it was coming from, and it was around the rubber junction between the fill pipe and the tank. I loosened up and re-tightened them, and it wasn't leaking anymore after that. Later in the day, tho, I came back out and it was dripping again. I took it to the place on the corner (Ping's Automotive, that just makes you want to take your car there, huh??? Believe me now, NO!!!) because I really didn't have the time to deal with it and I didn't want it to burn up or anything. Well, they had it for three hours and all they did was call dealers to see if they had the part!!! Um, listen IDIOT, its a piece of HOSE!!! Really doesn't need to be OEM, just something that fits!!! Unless, of course, it turns out to be the tank itself, but it seems to me that a piece of 27 year old rubber is going to be the first thing to break.

Anyway, I'm kinda bummed about that. Of course, I was driving the gas miser Scirocco, the best looking of my three cars, paint and body wise. I would have felt worse if I'd been driving my Falcon, and I would have been some upset if it had happened to my Maverick, but I don't think it would have done near the damage, either. The front car was a big olds, with good old chrome bumpers, and it sustained no damage to speak of.

So, now I am gonna have some cash coming in *trying to look on the positive* I'm still undecided on what to do. I have been thinking for quite a while of trying to find a VW diesel, probably one of those caddy pickups, and starting to brew my own biodiesel, as well as fitting an electric motor to the rear axle and a bank of deep cycle batteries to move it around at low speeds (crazy ideas I come up with while I'm stuck working that clutch in downtown traffic!!!) I'm always hearing stories of the VW diesels getting 40 and 50 mpg, and with the price of gas being so unstable.... I heard Drudge saying that oil prices jumped up to over $55 a barrel just because it was the first day of hurricane season!!! Who knows what I'll end up doing. Lord knows I don't really need another project.

When I finally made it home and checked my mail, I've gotten 3 hits on some of my bills on Wheres George, that's the most I've gotten in a long time in one day. One of the bills has been hit 5 times now, I think that's the best I have so far. The guy who hit that one wrote this for his comment: "i got this bill as a tip from souplantation restraunt. northridge, ca. i will be using this bill to buy food at el polloco to buy a taco. im going to actually miss this dollar. its special from the others". I have to agree. Thanks for that, pal, you made my day!!! That and the blog's spellcheck trying to change 'kinking' to 'kinkiness'. LOL!!!

I took a minus and now the hard times are behind us.
Turned into a plus, now they stuck livin blinded.
Hennessey got me feelin bad. Time to stop drinkin.
Rollin in my drop top Jag. What's that cops thinkin?
Sittin in my car watch the stars and smoke.
I came a long way but still I got so far to go.

No comments: